Austin issues RFI for Walnut Creek sports complex partnership ideas
The city of Austin issued a request for information (RFI) for ideas and potential concepts for public-private partnerships (P3s) to develop a sports complex on a 60-acre parcel of city land along Walnut Creek.
Waller Creek Sports Complex concept
Austin Parks and Recreation Department (PARD) is asking for input including business ideas or programming activities that will support the development of the Walnut Creek Sports Complex in northeast Austin near Austin Tennis Center, Colony Park District Park, Austin to Manor Bicycle Trail, and Walter E. Long Metropolitan Park.
The city seeks a for‐profit or nonprofit partner interested in entering a long‐term Parkland Improvement, Programming, and Maintenance Agreement to design, construct, program, operate, and maintain a sports complex that is geared toward league play. The type of facility and programming is open‐ended. Existing organized sports groups have shared their desire for league play associated with soccer, softball, baseball, tennis, and cricket.
PARD envisions the possibility of an effective P3 agreement which may have the potential to not only generate revenue, but also positively enhance the experience of park users, businesses, visitors, and residents surrounding the parkland. In relation to this RFI, the city seeks potential topics to consider for the scope of work.
The city is in the information‐gathering phase of this project, so a specific timeline has not yet been developed.
Phases for the Walnut Creek Sports Complex project will likely include:
- Phase 1 – Issue request for information (current phase).
- Phase 2 – Review information and concepts provided in response to the RFI. Develop a draft scope of work for a request for proposal (RFP) that is competitive and inclusive of community goals for the property.
- Phase 3 – Seek feedback on draft scope of work.
- Phase 4 – Develop and issue RFP.
- Phase 5: Award contract for the development and management of the Walnut Creek Sports Complex.
RFI submissions are due by 2 p.m. CST on March 11.